To navigate through the sea of earth-minded and socially responsible brands, there are some fabulous sustainable and fair trade online stores handpicking beautiful products for the discerning and mindful shopper.
While the growth of ethical and sustainable fashion and lifestyle products is exciting, this growth has also led to a whole lot of greenwashing and “fair-washing”. That’s why I’ve curated this set of shops that sources truly responsibly-made products you can trust.
That said, the terms “ethical”, “sustainable”, and “conscious” can take on different meanings to different people based upon their own personal value systems, so each site curates and sorts their goods based on standards they specify on their site (such as artisan-made, vegan, eco-friendly, fair trade, BIPOC-owned, etc.).
Each eco-friendly and ethical online shop in this guide offers up something a little different from the next with their aesthetics, ethical criteria, and price point.
Take a peek at the sites included here to find one that suits both your value standards and style!
Note that this guide features affiliates and partners. As always I only include brands that meet high standards for ethics and style.
Cover photo courtesy of Made Trade.
1. Made Trade
Criteria: Made Trade is an eco-friendly, artisan-made and fair trade online shop with well-designed, responsibly-made goods that meet at least one (though virtually always more than two) of the following values:
- Fair Trade: pieces from Fair Trade-certified brands or brands following (or going above) fair trade practices such as ensuring safe working conditions and paying living wages.
- Heritage: goods made with generations-old crafts and traditional techniques that honor the cultural heritage in the communities they are produced.
- Sustainable: products made with responsibly-sourced materials like earth-minded fibers (think upcycled, organic, low-impact, and even regenerative fibers), and dyes.
- Vegan: pieces that are completely free of animal products.
- USA-Made: goods made ethically in America.
- POC-Owned: these are products from brands that are at least 51% owned by a Person of Color or People of Color.
- Women-Owned: pieces from brands that are at least 51% owned by a woman or women.
Categories: Clothing, Shoes, Bags, Accessories, Home Decor, Furniture & Lighting
Price: $ – $$$
Shipping: Carbon-neutral shipping to the US for free on orders $75+ and internationally for a flat fee ($19 – $89) based on order total; international shipping not available for furniture
Criteria: With everything from skincare to supplements, sleepwear to scarves, and baskets to bedding ourCommonplace is an amazing curated online marketplace for shopping responsibly-made goods in nearly every category. All products in the online shop meet at least two of the following six standards.
- BIPOC-Owned: supports inclusive representation in the conscious lifestyle space and helps reduce the racial wealth gap by empowering businesses owned Black, Indigenous, and People of Color brand owners and founders.
- Cruelty-free: ensures that no animals were killed, hurt, or tested on in the making of these goods.
- Ethical: these are products from brands that follow just production practices such as paying fair wages, ensuring safe working conditions, and more.
- Sustainable: brands using earth-minded materials (think natural fibers and recycled materials), processes, and packaging throughout their supply chain.
- Toxic-Free: products that have been thoroughly vetted and verified to not contain harsh chemicals.
- Women-Owned: supports women entrepreneurship and helps reduce the gender income and business owner representation gaps.
Pro Tip: you can “Shop Your Values” by sorting products by each of their standards using their top menu bar.
Price Range: $ – $$$
Shipping: Free carbon-neutral shipping on all orders within the Continental U.S.
Criteria: Itemerie sources environmentally-responsible artisan goods for the home and your wardrobe. The conscious online store’s entire collection is ethically made and non-toxic. Additionally, you can sort products by the following badges.
- Locally-Made: pieces that have been mindfully produced in the US or in Canada. (You can also sort specifically by Made in USA or Made in Canada!)
- Handmade: a collection of quality goods that have been individually handcrafted by skilled artisans.
- No Waste: unpackaged and reusable essentials to help you live a low waste lifestyle.
- Vegan: a curation of ecologically responsible animal-free and animal byproduct-free goods.
- Natural Materials: products made from sustainable and natural resources, and similarly Plant-Based for natural, vegan products derived from plants like bamboo.
- Recycled Materials: goods crafted out of repurposed and upcycled fibers, glass, or metals.
Categories: Home Goods, Kitchen, Cleaning, Beauty, Jewelry, Accessories, Gifts
Price: $ – $$
Shipping: Ships to the U.S. and Canada; Free shipping on orders over $99
Criteria: GALERIE.LA was founded by Dechel Mckillian, a former celebrity stylist who witnessed the negative impact of the fashion industry and decided to do something about it. Dechel’s LA-based brick and mortar and online sustainable store is ultra-curated, showcasing only the most beautiful and fashion-forward conscious pieces. You’ll find products with a couple or several of the values below…
- Artisan: uniquely handcrafted pieces made with crafts that help preserve culture and traditions around the globe.
- Eco-Friendly: goods made with earth-minded materials (such as Tencel, hemp, and deadstock fabrics.) and processes.
- Recycled: clothing, jewelry, and accessories made of recycled, regenerated, and up-cycled materials.
- Vegan: products made without the use of any animals or animal by-products.
- Local: pieces produced in the same country the brand is based in.
Categories: Clothing, Bags, Shoes, Accessories, Beauty, and Lifestyle
Price: $ – $$$
Shipping: Free ground shipping for orders within the U.S. and Canada; curbside pick-up in Los Angeles; international shipping is a flat $45 fee and customer is responsible for any customs fees
Explore Galerie LA (Black woman-owned brand)
5. Fox Holt
Criteria: Curating both beautiful and mindful fashion and lifestyle collections into one convenient platform, Fox Holt is making thoughtful shopping more accessible for many.
The sustainable marketplace’s founding pillars are: ethically sourced materials, treat animals with respect, minimize negative environmental impact, fair production practices, and accessibility. Additionally, you can shop by a number of values, like:
- Made in USA: products manufactured domestically that encourage community and local innovation;
- Vegan: pieces completely free of animals and animal exploitation;
- Handmade/Artisan: pieces crafted by hand in small batches using distinctive techniques;
- Fair: products that are made under conditions that prioritize worker safety and fair pay
- Organic: textiles made from organic fibers;
- Recycled: products made from repurposed textiles and other upcycled materials;
- Eco-Friendly: pieces that are produced in a way that leaves a minimal carbon footprint
- Sustainable Materials: items made from durable, efficient, non-toxic and/or renewable materials;
- and Giving Back: products from brands that are supporting local and international causes.
Categories: Clothing, Jewelry, Shoes, Accessories, Home Goods, Kids, Vintage
Price: $ – $$$$
Shipping: Ships within the US; Also ships internationally, though does not offer international returns
Criteria: Accompany is a certified B-Corp that sources artisan-made goods from around the world. The values Accompany prioritizes are:
- Artisan-Made: goods slowly handmade using traditional techniques and Indigenous skills that celebrate cultural heritage.
- Fair Trade: goods that are Fair Trade-certified or follow fair production practices like paying fair wages & offering benefits, ensuring healthy working conditions, and providing inclusive business opportunities.
- Philanthropic: brands partnering with marginalized communities to offer ethical employment opportunities, brands that provide services like education and loans, brands that give back, and brands directly fighting injustices.
Categories: Women’s and Men’s Apparel, Home, Jewelry, Bags, Shoes, Accessories, Gifts
Price: $$ – $$$
Shipping: Offers Carbon Neutral Shipping within the UK for £5; within Europe for £15; to the U.S. and the rest of the world for £18
Criteria: GOODEE is a Black-owned certified B-Corp hand-selecting exceptional artisan-made goods for the home. One of the most design-forward and high-quality fair trade online stores around, every product on GOODEE is “transparently sourced, ethically-made, and designed to last.” Additionally, the home goods and lifestyle brands on GOODEE meet at least a few of the following criteria:
- Marginalized Communities: brands that give back a portion of profits or revenue to disenfranchised groups. Poverty Reduction consists of brands that guarantee a living wage and provide opportunities for development and career advancement.
- Recycled Materials: brands using up-cycled and repurposed materials. Similarly, the Circular Economy value denotes brands that minimize waste and maximizes resource use. And Water Conservancy indicates which companies are preserving water.
- Gender Advocacy: brands encouraging women leadership and actively fighting against workplace gender discrimination.
- Corporate Reporting: companies providing transparency reports on their current impact as well as their progress.
- Community Engagement: organizations participating in local initiatives and involves employees in company decisions.
Categories: Homewares, Gifts
Price: $ – $$$
Shipping: Ships to U.S. and Canada; free standard shipping available on orders above $50
Explore GOODEE (Black-owned retailer)
8. Rêve En Vert
Criteria: Rêve en Vert selects products that meet high standards for design and aesthetics as well as environmental and social responsibility.
The shop offers goods that follow some or all of the following criteria.
- Organic: goods made with certified organic and low-impact natural fibers.
- Remade: pieces crafted from recycled and up-cycled materials.
- Local: products that are produced as locally as possible and which respect the local communities they work with.
- Fair: goods produced in ethical workshops and factories that have certifications, audits, or other assurances of fair working conditions.
Categories: Clothing, Shoes, Bags, Accessories, Beauty, Home, Gifts, Kids
Price: ££ – £££
Shipping: Based in the US and offers international shipping (customer is responsible for customs duties and fees); free shipping on all orders over $150.
Criteria: Ten Thousand Villages was a pioneer of fair trade goods and continues to operate with ethical practices at every point of their supply chain. The ethical company has both brick-and-mortar fair trade shops and an online fair trade store for finding all things handmade.
This fair trade store sources their products only from artisan groups that pay living wages and ensure safe working conditions and they make an intentional effort to partner with traditionally marginalized communities. By bringing artisan-made handcrafted goods to a global audience, Ten Thousand Villages is supporting the continuation of traditional crafts and providing sustainable economic opportunities.
Today, the social enterprise works with over 20,000 artisan makers in 30 different countries!
Categories: Jewelry, Accessories, Home Goods, Gifts, Holiday Decor
Price: $ – $$
Criteria: Another eco and fair trade online store, Ethica sources products that meet one or more of the following value standards:
- Sustainable: products made with organic, natural, toxic-free, and biodegradable materials and made using low waste/circular practices.
- Made in the USA: products from brands producing locally in America.
- Handcrafted: products slowly and thoughtfully made by hand — and not mass-manufactured.
- ‘Trade Not Aid”: products that are ethically-sourced from artisans around the world.
- Vegan: products completely free of animal products.
Categories: Women’s Clothing, Jewelry, Shoes, Bags, Beauty
Shipping: Free carbon-neutral shipping on U.S. orders over $75; no international shipping available at the time of publishing
Pin this post for reference later:
You May Also Want to Check Out: