On my original hunt for zero waste mouthwash, I came across almost exclusively mouthwash tablets. So, I decided to try them out as part of my ongoing goal to reduce single-use products in my life one-by-one.
I went in slightly skeptical — I had tried toothpaste tablets in the past and was not a fan. While better than my original expectations, mouthwash tablets were definitely something I was going to have to “get used to”… if you know what I mean!
Considering my commitment I had made to myself, not to mention the fact that I regularly write about and encourage others to try low waste products, I decided to sacrifice some of the convenience and taste I was used to.
But then, Nix Mouthwash reached out to send me some samples of their low waste mouthwash that took a bit of a different take.
[Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Nix. As always I only partner with brands that meet strict standards for sustainability and that I truly love — and that I think you’ll love too!]
So, in this review post of Nix, I’m going to share my experience with the brand’s mouthwash!
First, let’s talk about the brand: Nix Mouthwash. The Nix founders worked for more than 3 years to find the perfect formula that could be gentle, pleasant, and effective — with only clean, natural ingredients.
The mouthwash crystals contain only 10 ingredients that you can recognize and understand: peppermint oil, vitamin E, sea salt, stevia leaf extract, grapefruit seed extract, aloe vera, baking soda, menthol, erythritol, and polysorbate 20 derived from coconut oil.
In addition to using only healthy ingredients, Nix Mouthwash chose to do a refill model to avoid creating single-use plastic waste.
So while the original bottle is plastic, you don’t have to discard it or get another one — you can just keep refilling that same bottle. (Alternatively, you could use your own bottle, but we’ll get to that later!)
Nix also donates 10% of their profits to environmental nonprofits and charities like Global Dental Relief that help ensure all children have access to adequate dental care.
It’s great to see brands that consider the whole picture: their ingredients, their packaging, and their greater impact.
How it Works
Okay, so how exactly does Nix Mouthwash work? Here’s a breakdown:
- Your first package of Nix Mouthwash contains a filled bottle of mouthwash and a refill jar with mouthwash crystals.*
- Once you use up the bottle, you can refill it! You do this by putting 7 scoops of the mouthwash crystals into the bottle (there is a bamboo scoop included in your Nix package) and then filling it with cold water. You can also add more scoops if you’d like for a stronger mintiness!
- Then just shake the bottle and you’re done!
- You then can use the mouthwash just as you would any other mouthwash. Swish around a mouthful of the mouthwash for about 20 seconds and spit it out.
- Once mixed (mouthwash crystals + water), the mouthwash lasts about one month.
- After the mouthwash is emptied out, just repeat steps 2-4! When you’re out of refills, you can order more from Nix. You can order just the jar of mouthwash crystals without the bottle. (Or, if you’re on their subscription plan, Nix will send you a jar every 3 months.)
*Alternatively, if you want to reduce waste even further, you could just order the refills immediately and use a mouthwash bottle that you already have.
If you don’t have a mouthwash bottle, you can also use a glass bottle.
Kombucha bottles are a great size for this! Just be sure to use the proportionate amount of mouthwash crystals.
For example, Nix recommends using 7 scoops for the 9oz bottle. So if you are using a 16oz kombucha bottle, you would need 12-13 scoops of the mouthwash crystals.
*You can also always add more scoops if you’d like a stronger mintiness!
In case you’re curious, here’s the math!
7 scoops / 9oz = .77 scoops per oz
Here are some of the calculations:
.77 scoops/oz * 16oz = 12.4 scoops
- 10oz bottle → use 8+ scoops
- 12oz bottle → use 9+ scoops
- 14oz bottle → use 11+ scoops
- 16oz bottle → use 12 or 13+ scoops
- 20oz bottle → use 15 or 16+ scoops
All right, I think that’s enough math for one day! Let’s talk about my experience with Nix and why I’m excited to switch to this natural and low waste mouthwash.
1) Convenience. I really liked that the refills are dissolvable crystals instead of tablets. Not only was this a more convenient approach (I didn’t have to wait for a tablet to dissolve every single time I wanted to use mouthwash), but there was no funky texture to it like I’ve sometimes experienced with tablets.
I found myself reaching for the Nix Mouthwash even while I had some mouthwash tablets left over from another brand!
2) Taste. It felt refreshing (something I didn’t usually experience after using natural mouthwashes) yet light and gentle (an experience I *definitely* do not get from conventional mouthwashes).
I’ve always disliked typical mouthwashes with their strong alcohol taste, but sometimes the natural ones didn’t feel like they were actually freshening up my breath! Nix was a nice balance of being refreshing while not making you feel like your mouth is burning, as I had experienced with the big name brand mouthwashes.
3) Reducing Waste. And of course, I love that I don’t have to buy an entirely new bottle every time that I run out of mouthwash. I don’t have a zero waste store closer than one hour away from me, so Nix makes it easier for me to access refillable and low waste mouthwash.
And that’s my experience with Nix! Want to give them a try too?